[LAU] pulseaudio headaches

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 18:48:31 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-12-27 at 21:35 +0530, Rustom Mody wrote:
> I recently was introduced to nted
> Tried it on my debian-lenny desktop and it works nicely.
> But now need it on my laptop for a travel-demo session.
>
> Now the laptop (was) running hardy which has some pulseaudio headaches.
> In any case I had to upgrade because the clone monitor which is needed
> for a presentation does not work in hardy
>
> Now the headaches increase!  Pulseaudio more and more tightly
> integrated into ubuntu and nted (or is it timidity?) does not like it
> at all.
> Managed to remove pulse (with some associated packages)
>
> nted works once again but I cant adjust volume and and clicks and
> other ubuntu sounds which could be configured with
> System->preferences->sound wont come up saying: Waiting for sound
> system to respond.
>
> Any suggestions?

Ubuntu sans Pulseaudio is a pain to get working. You'd probably have
better luck getting nted to run on pulseaudio.

A quick search reveals
http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/staff/jan/nted/doc/ch01s50.html

Having never used nted before, I can't really comment much, but wouldn't
using JACK solve things, since pulseaudio now plays quite well with jack
(jackdmp, not jack 0.118 or whatever they're on now for jack1).