[LAU] Linux audio app design: The nature of xruns

Guido Scholz guido.scholz at bayernline.de
Mon Dec 28 17:50:17 EST 2009

Am Mon, 28. Dec 2009 um 16:24:48 -0500 schrieb lanas:

> Guido Scholz <guido.scholz at bayernline.de> a écrit :

Hi "lanas",

> > Am Mon, 28. Dec 2009 um 15:24:02 -0500 schrieb lanas:

> > I am aware of that and chose this wording to encourage you to discover
> > the real root cause. Currently we suffer from hypotheses (at least I
> > do).

> If, when I start my little project, I face the same number of xruns,
> then I'll take a look.  if not, my purpose is not to debug jackmix
> and/or QARecord.  I simply made an orbservation.

my contributions to this thread are not about "debugging" more about
"operating", but obviously this topic did not come across. May be if you
once publish your project you will find out what it was about.

> > > From that observation then a question arose: there must
> > > be a bad way and a good way of writing a Linux audio/jack
> > > application: what is it ?

> > So did you get the answer?

> Yes.  See the first two replies in ths thread, by David and Dominic.
> As I added, treating jack callbacks as bottom part ISRs could certainly
> improve performance and who knows (not I so far, do you ?) avoid a good
> deal of xruns ?

Yes sure, this is common audio programming standard. But is it the whole
picture?

> > I see, so you are more interested from a philosophical (or moral?)
> > point of view.

> I always tend to approach projects with a high-level overview before
> delving into the details.  As such I get a first round on how to define
> objects, data paths, responsibilities, etc... Of course these will get
> refined when details come in.  That's how I do it.

I see :).

> In other words, this is not about debugging jackmix and/or QARecord.

Yes you got it, this conversation is not about "debugging", at least
from my side.

> are you the author of QARecord by any chance ?

A look at the about box could tell you. But does it really matter?

> Program versions do not matter in that observation.

OK, I will not join this (simple) view. Code changes from time to time
(from release to release?) and even operating errors can occur. But
finding the error clearly needs an other strategy.

Good night.
Guido

--
http://www.bayernline.de/~gscholz/