[LAU] Compiling a kernel

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 09:58:57 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Jonathan E. Brickman
<jeb at joshuacorps.org> wrote:

>>> But for now one question:  How does one quantitatively measure that
>>> one kernel is better than another?  eg memory footprint, response time
>>> etc?
>>>
>> For those of us doing real-time audio I measure it using Jack and
>> determining with each kernel how low I can set my latencies while
>> recording 48 channels of audio in one pass to three hard drives.
>>
>> That's just me though.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>

> Mark, I am curious:  how low /can/ you set your latencies while
> capturing 48 channels simultaneously to three hard drives???  And are
> you using a firewire device, or something else?
>
> J.E.B.

OK, so I don't change latency while actually recording. Changing
latency requires restarting Jack and the audio apps. Probably I should
have said I test Ardour recording 48 channels to 3 drives with
different latency settings in Jack.

I use 3 Firewire drives and tell Ardour that they are attached. Ardour
decides what audio data goes on each drive, but roughly speaking it
spreads out the audio data across all three. When I first did this a
few years ago I ran into trouble trying to do this on a single
internal IDE drive, even if it wasn't the main system drive. It might
work better today with newer drivers and SATA drives. Don't know.

Hope this clears things up.

- Mark