[LAU] Phonic Helix Board 12 FireWireMKIIcompatibility(linux/ffado)

Simon W. Fielding s.fielding at wmcce.org
Wed Feb 11 06:14:56 EST 2009

In the interests of fairness, following Pieter's reply I've done a little more testing.

I downloaded the ffado source and rebuilt it with DEBUG=no and ENABLE_OPTIMIZATIONS=yes.
This gave me a bit of a problem because of a bug in scons so I needed to remove the scons
version I had and install scons 1.2 from source. That worked although the ffado scons
script now throws a few warnings for deprecated functionality in the new version of scons.

/usr/bin/jackd -R -dfirewire -r96000 -p256 -n3 :- now runs at 25-30% CPU with occasional jumps
to about 35% for 20 seconds or so and occasional drops to 17-18% for a similar amount of time.

/usr/bin/jackd -R -dfirewire -r96000 -p256 -n3 -i2 -o2 :- for a slightly fairer comparison with
my ICH6/your HDA - this made very little difference (maybe 1 or 2% CPU less) and indeed, qjackctl
still showed 10+2 channels in its connections window.

Cheers,
Simon