[LAU] Bpm detection/quantize

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Feb 11 16:01:00 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 08:30:32PM +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Well, that's an aesthetic question of course.

Yes, It's often said that 'taste' can't be
discussed, but aeshtetics can.

There are several things mixed up in this issue.

The first is the value of adding beats to music
that wasn't meant to have them. It has been done
to anything from Gregorian chant to romantic
opera, and I've *never* heard any example of
it that did improve on the original, rather
the contrary.

The second is why one would reduce the natural
rythm of any piece of music to a regular beat.

One reason can be that this is an aesthetic
feature in itself. There are some musical
genres that are firmly based on this idea.

Another reason - without wanting to comment
on the OP's musical abilities which I don't
know - is just incompetence - the inability
to handle a piece of music unless it has a
simple regular rythmic structure. A drummer
or percussionist worth the name can add beats
to whatever is thrown at him, regular or not.
Someone who can't do that should probably
not be adding beats to anything but find a
better way to enjoy life.
What would you think if someone were asking
'is there any program that can simplify the
harmony of a song so I can play a three-note
bass line to it' ??

Ciao,

--
FA