[LAU] Bpm detection/quantize

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Wed Feb 11 17:21:21 EST 2009

Fons Adriaensen schrieb:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 08:30:32PM +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> The second is why one would reduce the natural
> rythm of any piece of music to a regular beat.

Good question and most of those, who do the above-mentioned
beat-adding to gregorian chants etc do not ask
that question. Or they come up with answers
like: because the cd-buyers may like it...

But there *can* be better answers to this question I could think of.
Such as: to destroy and distort a music in order to create a very new
one. I never heard a successfull experiment like this performed with
gregorian chants though...

> One reason can be that this is an aesthetic
> feature in itself. There are some musical
> genres that are firmly based on this idea.
>
> Another reason - without wanting to comment
> on the OP's musical abilities which I don't
> know - is just incompetence - the inability
> to handle a piece of music unless it has a
> simple regular rythmic structure.

I too will not question the abilities of all those, who ask for such
assitance but I dare to estimate, that 9 out of 10 users of
beat-detection-automatisms do not use such tools to widen their own
atistic horizons but to narrow the horizon of the music they'd like to
use as an accompainment for their playing.

> What would you think if someone were asking
> 'is there any program that can simplify the
> harmony of a song so I can play a three-note
> bass line to it' ??

I can play a 3-note bassline to *any* piece of music - and I do not need
any assistance by any software to do so ;-)

Seriously: to have some comforts and automagic is cool and can have a
very positive impact on a musical work. A sofware for beat-measurement
can help to analyse a give piece of music to find ways to add something
constructive to it. But all that "Get our 20000-loopsample-DVD/our
200-prograde-preset Guitarampemulation/ our easy-klick-your-hit
sequencer and become a big star in no time and whithout any
learning-trouble!" is emberracing nonsense made for consumes, not for
artists.
Basicly everything, that makes decisions, an artist should make
him/herself is a toy, not an instrument.

best regs HZN