[LAU] Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 24, Issue 12

ethan a young ethan.y.us at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 04:21:15 EST 2009

linux-audio-user-request at lists.linuxaudio.org wrote:

Message: 27 Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:34:16 +0100 From: ben
<brouits at free.fr> Subject: Re: [LAU] NtEd To:
linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org Message-ID:
<4992FE08.3050704 at free.fr> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Laura Conrad a ?crit :

> >     ethan> What has other's experiences been so far with these new and
> >     ethan> developing programs?
> >
> > I use lilypond and have used ABC in the past.  You can use rosegarden
> > or musescore as a frontend to lilypond, but I haven't been very
> > successful doing it.  I have an emacs program that takes MIDI keyboard
> > input and puts lilypond notes in the buffer, and I can use
> > point-and-click on the xpdf screen to get back to my emacs buffer.
> >
> > I don't claim that this is as easy to set up as a GUI would be, but
> > given all the options you want for a full-featured notation editor,
> > for me anything that works with emacs is easier to use than anything
> > that doesn't.
> >

> Following the thread, i admit i still do not have made my choice:
> i stared by using denemo with lilypond output, then switched to write
> lilypond or ABC with vim, and have recently given a try with nted. I
> noticed nted has a good midi-output, considering ornaments and other
> expression directives.
> - ben

i was really excited when i first discovered lilypond, but it's intimidating to get started in (hah, this coming from someone who abandoned windows and went fully to linux on a whim... :)  regardless, i don't know how to make lilypond work to produce scores...i tried with the jEdit front-end, but that never worked well.

i haven't ruled out lilypond, but it seems like programmers are most comfortable using it, and i am no programmer...

i really like the fact that NtEd is truly WYSIWYG...even Encore was never this good, and i had to trust the printer output because the display was often corrupted comparatively.  Finale looked good, but i am biased against Finale and similar programs -- tried it and it was really complicated and unintuitive for me. mouse clicks and button presses often did not do what i expected them to!

i never looked seriously at Rosegarden -- not to say it isn't a good program.  i'm sure it is :)  but i didn't want a full "music composition environment."  by the time i enter music into the computer, it is fully composed in my head and/or on paper :).  i suspect it is the same for many composers and musicians who spend most of their time off the computer, which is why i think a program like NtEd is so important.

i just want something that can make beautiful scores without much fuss or a steep learning curve, but with a powerful editor so i can publish and archive my compositions in a semi-professional manner.

what features is NtEd missing?

I put it in a similar category as Seq24:  it's a simple tool, but it does what it's supposed to do very well.  I think it is aimed at a different audience than RoseGarden, though.