[LAU] Bpm detection/quantize

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Thu Feb 12 11:09:53 EST 2009

Frank Barknecht schrieb:
> Hallo,
> Frank Barknecht hat gesagt: // Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
>> Anyway it's not just "automatic accompaniment" as in "Band in a Box"
>> that I'm referring to, but the use of a computer to do what it can do
>> better than any human, namely carrying out algorithms for complicated
>> processes designed by a human.

This I agree.
Yet the question is, who that human is. Somebody, who is getting paid to
implement what a marketing-crew has designed based on a marketing
resaerch? Or an artist, who experiments with his/her patterns fed into a
system, that alters them following abstract mathematical logic?

This is not a technical issue, it is cultural/socio-economic etc.

I tried to use Garage-Band and Abelton Live and I found both of them
extremely difficult to use. It took me about 2 h in both until they
played a little sequence with the sounds I like, the way I like....

But they offered a lot of easy shortcuts to somewhat "standard"-sounding
music in this 2h.

I guess, this is a tendency induced by marketing-decisions. As I opened
Audioheads Orion back in 2000 it took me 30min to make it sound somewhat
interesting. It had a lot of flexibility just under a thin layer of
eye-candy. I have the impression, in Abelton or Garageband that layer is
much much thicker.

> Oh, and btw: It's interesting that in this thread there are complains
> when a computer is used to add a beat to music while in another thread
> the addition of reverb to music seems to be no problem at all.

Harr harr - that was me_ yess - I even set a bounty for a delay with
(apage satanas!!) automagic BPM-detection via MIDI. That bounty has gone
to ardour as of now for Krzystof Foltman recommended to do so..

There is absolutely no problem with manipulating music you already made
from scratch. And it seems to me a handy tool to have the opportunity to
fed a BPM-number to the maths, a delay has to offer.

> I know a
> lot of natural rooms that give a much more beautiful reverberation than
> any digital allpass network can generate. ;)

Beauty is the choice of the artist. Of course it is great, to have
physical rooms at hand to make a voice sound different. But in the end
it is just this you want to achieve: difference. A certain difference
because you are not pleased with the raw sound of a recording. So I do
not consider it a must-have to work with any certain method to achieve
such a manipulation. Reverb-software with some flexibilty, an adequate
physical room or both mixed - if the result is unique and pleasing, it
is fine with me ;-)

But I would not use *any* room or *any* software ;-)

best regs

HZN