[LAU] 24-bit files and hisss....

Bearcat M. Şandor hometheater at feline-soul.com
Fri Feb 13 01:55:56 EST 2009

Folks,

I'm a little bit confused.  I have some 24-bit files that i downloaded. These
files are reported by 'file' as FLAC audio bitstream data, 24 bit, 6 channels,
48 kHz, 18273600 samples

I was able to play one of them at one time, a few days ago and now i am not. I
hate it when people say "i don't know what changed" but i don't. All i get is
hiss in the left channel from my stereo. I can play other 24-bit file fine,
even 96khz tracks.

I've tried mplayer, xine, and phonon (using xine)

Any ideas?

I am using my on-board intel hd audio.   My asound.conf is as follows:

cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.dmixer {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1024