[LAU] an rt kernel for ubuntu 8.10 ?

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Sat Feb 14 11:29:09 EST 2009

On Saturday 14 February 2009 09:45:58 Dave Phillips wrote:
> Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> > ... I have no more xruns (using 2.6.27-3-rt on 8.10 with KDE 4.2
> > desktop) and the latency I use when recording is normally 1.45 ms on
> > my lap top with acpi off. The USB card is an old M-audio Mobile PreUSB
> > (44100 16-bit). I do not record often with on my lap top, but
> > everything works fine when I have to use it.
> >

> > So you might give the 2.6.27-3-rt the last chance with some help from
> > jackdmp 1.9 (the upcoming jack 2.0). I have used jackdmp around 11
> > months now and it's IMO the only choice on a 64 bits machine with more
> > than one core. I also use jackdmp on my studio machine and are really
> > happy with it.
> >

> > I hope this helps.
>
> Hi Jostein,
>
> This is interesting. Did you patch the rt sources at all or are you
> running the kernel as it came from the repo ? Did you simply drop-in the
> jackdmp version of jackd (./waf configure --prefix=/usr) or was any
> other action required ?
>
> Btw, I determined that the rt kernel was causing many of the troubles I
> had with 8.10. Running the non-rt kernel eliminates those problems,
> specifically the system hang at logout or shutdown. Of course, it also
> leaves me without an rt-capable kernel. :(

Dave, fyi I am running 2.6.24-23-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Mon Jan 26 02:29:24 UTC
2009 i686 GNU/Linux" on a box that shows "Welcome to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS!" in
firefox. iirc, this was a box installed and then apt-get install
ubuntu-studio at some point in the past.

This box used to shut of properly at first, then at some point after an
upgrade, it started having the hang on shutdown problem. (Especially if the
net connection was down. The box was also extremely unresponsive if it booted
with no net connection.) While it was having that problem, it did not always
hang but did quite a lot. I got the feeling that there was less chance of a
hang if I shut down all apps and waited for some time before starting the
shutdown. After a recent upgrade, I haven't noticed the hang on shutdown for
a good long while.

I hope this long ramble may give you some things to try.

> Best,
>
> dp

all the best,

drew