[LAU] an rt kernel for ubuntu 8.10 ?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 13:23:06 EST 2009

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 5:24 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> As some of you know, I've had nothing but trouble with Ubuntu's rt
>>> kernel, specifically 2.6.27-3-rt from the current repos. As a result
>>> I've been working in non-realtime, and I'm not happy about it.
>>>

>>   I guess I could use a little more info before I even suggest a path
>> for you to take. when you say the "Ubuntu rt kernel" is this just the
>> standard rt kernel but supplied by Ubuntu, or is this an Ubuntu kernel
>> (i.e. - a kernel.org kernel patched with Ubuntu patches) and then
>> further patched with the rt stuff?
>>

> Hi Mark,
>
> According to its Synaptic entry the 2.6.27-3-rt kernel is built from the
> 2.6.27 sources with Ingo Molnar's patch for 2.6.25.5-rt9.

Right there it seems inconsistent. Why isn't it built with the patches
that were released for 2.6.27?

>>   My #1 suggestion is to make sure you are just using the standard rt
>> kernel. I had a bit of trouble with 2.6.25-rt so I stayed with 2.6.24
>> for a while and just recently moved to 2.6.26.8-rt12 which is working
>> fine for me but did require that I reconfigure it from scratch instead
>> of using make oldconfig so building it was a little more painful. It's
>> working well though.
>>

> I don't mind the configuration, even though it's been a while. I can hack
> it. :)

It won't be hacking, knowing you. More likely a minor work or art. ;-)

>>   I guess it's just me but I don't understand the motivation for
>> running the newest rt kernel. I upgrade every 2-3 major kernel
>> revisions these days, or when I hear about a major bug, security
>> issue, etc. I used 2.6.21, 24 and now 26.
>>

> I'll be pleased to have *any* working rt kernel on this system.
>
> Btw, will I still need the LAU list patch for ALSA ?

?????? What's that? We need a kernel patch to make the LAU list work?  ;-)

Here are the links that Steven posted when -rt14 was released. You
might start with these and take a copy of my -rt12 .config file. you'd
probably only need to change chipset stuff to get it working:

>   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.26.tar.bz2
>   http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/patch-2.6.26.8.bz2
>   http://rt.et.redhat.com/download/patch-2.6.26.8-rt14.bz2

There's also an -rt15 but I didn't see much traffic on that.

- Mark