[LAU] 24-bit files and hisss....

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Sun Feb 15 05:37:44 EST 2009

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 02:44:10 -0700
"Bearcat M. Şandor" <hometheater at feline-soul.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 15 February 2009 02:17:38 Viktor Mastoridis wrote:
> > I couldn't play 32-bit wav files on any player, but they open fine
> > and play in *audacity*. There (if you wish) you can export them in
> > 16bit Also, Ardour, Rosengarden and Qtractor I suppose?
> > Viktor
> You know, you may be onto something. I fired up kwave and loaded up a
> track. I see 6 wave forms, one for each channel. Awesome. I press
> play and glorious music fills my room.
>
> So i fire up amarok and load up the same track.  HISSS! Horrible
> static fills my room and from the feel of it, a bit of blood fills my
> ears  :"/
>
> So i press play again in kwave and am told that dmux is blocked.  I
> close down amaork and press play in kwave. It plays fine.
>
> It seems to just be a "software is not ready problem.
>
> But i don't get why it works sometimes in mplayer and sometimes it
> does not.

I'm not sure but it sounds like the following problem:
Formats like flac, ogg vorbis and probably others support more than two
channels but pretty much no-one bothered to implement support for more
than two channels since must music only uses two channels.

I don't know if the problem lies in the application or the underlying
libraries most use.
My guess is that video players are more likely to work, so I'd try with
xine, mplayer, gstreamer and the likes and see if one of them works.

The only way to get this fixed is to file bug reports or feature
requests and contact the developers directly to discuss the issue at
hand, else no-one will bother to implement it.

It's a similar problem with video players and jack support, pretty much
all support jack but in a manner that is it pretty much
useless. No-one will fix a problem he is not aware of.

Best regards,
	Philipp