[LAU] first recording effort, ardour and my new guitar

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 20:53:51 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Roger E <gurusonic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Viktor Mastoridis wrote:
>>
>> The colour of voice is very nice. But try to record the voice in as much
>> as possible equal loudness - before you move to dynamics. Fill the channel
>> with iit. . Use compressor on the vocals as well - will help you get over
>> the beginner's problems with loudness.
>>
>> The rhythms guitar should be more tight - as you don't have bass/drums,
>> the rhythm guitar serves as the basis of this song, so it HAS to be rock
>> solid. Again, this is true before you learn to move slightly in time for the
>> effect of it.
>>
>> All in all the song is quite good - but you are not convinced in it. Try
>> to sing it as if you were sure that it will sell 100.000 copies - the
>> results will be amazing. One song reflects one own's confidence - or the
>> lack of it. "Losing My Religion" is so beautifully unconfident - and that's
>> the big asset of it. But your song needs confidence, actually.
>>
>> I hope this helps,
>>
>> Viktor
>>
>> 2009/2/16 Loki Davison <loki.davison at gmail.com
>> <mailto:loki.davison at gmail.com>>
>>
>>    HI all,
>>    despite the technical difficulties outlined in the other email some
>>    recording did occur. It's a cheesy love song inspired by recent
>>    events, some lyrics hopeful/prophetic/fictitious ;) Please tell me
>>    what you think. I really need singing lessons....
>>
>>    Same idea but in instrumental and vocal forms:
>>
>>    http://yoyo.its.monash.edu.au/~loki/scarlet_hair_novocals.mp3
>>    <http://yoyo.its.monash.edu.au/%7Eloki/scarlet_hair_novocals.mp3>
>>
>>    http://yoyo.its.monash.edu.au/~loki/scarlet_hair.mp3
>>    <http://yoyo.its.monash.edu.au/%7Eloki/scarlet_hair.mp3>
>>
>>    Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric bass and tambourine.
>>
>>    Hope it's ok,
>>    Loki
>>

> I like it and agree with Viktor's comments. Push it, man, push it.

Thanks,
enlightening comment about confidence coming across. Some thing i'll
see if i can work on for the next track. I tried recording with drums
from hydrogen but then found my guitar section to be far too
tight/boring ;) Any hints on keeping a good rhythm when playing with a
click? Focus on dynamics more?

Loki