[LAU] 64studio, FFADO, no luck

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Feb 17 15:41:23 EST 2009

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 21:06:29 Anders Dahnielson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 20:39, Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 17 February 2009 20:30:53 Ken Restivo wrote:
> > > OK well that throws a monkey wrench into my plan to convert the studio
> > from
> > > Mac/ProTools to Linux/Ardour. Damn.
> > Maybe you can start by convincing them about Mac/Ardour?
> > I don't really understand why mac-users (especially if they paid premium
> > money
> > for hardware) should switch to Linux where half their hardware isn't
> > supported... Shouldn't ardour (through jackd/portaudio) play perfectly
> > one the
> > digi-stuff?
> Yes. but I think you answered the question yourself in the last sentence.

I did? I didn't say "Make them buy overpriced proprietary stuff to use it with
free software", I said "If they already happen to have the bad proprietary
stuff, why try to convince them off the full free ensemble where they have to
spend more money on new hardware if they could just do a smooth transition by
switching one component at a time?" Applies both for Mac/ProTool and
Mac/Motu...

Or is the digi-stuff not usable with apples' portaudio?

Arnold