[LAU] good linux distros for audio

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Sun Feb 22 13:12:24 EST 2009

Den Sunday 22 February 2009 17:29:16 skrev Michiel:
> Which Linux distro is regarded as a good and reliable choice for audio?
> Playing, recording, gaming, voip, etc.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only person on earth that's satisfied with
Ubuntu as a Sound Studio platform. The thing is: I have no problems - at least
not more than with other distros. In my experience, no audio distro functions
right out of the box so far (perhaps JAD did om my old P-4 from 2002, but I'm
not sure). I do compile all the basic apps by myself (not the real time
kernel) like Jack 1.9*, Ardour, Rosegarden, Audacity, Linuxsampler (and
related), lots of other stuff and loads of libraries and so on.

Most distros suffers from being outdated quite fast, but on the other hand: A
music studio should be reliable and stable and one should be able to produce
expected results every time, so perhaps this outdated thing is not so bad
after all.

I use Kubuntu 8.10 (with KDE 4.2 and a stock 2.6.27-3-rt kernel) on my dual
core 1.6 Lap top (with an external USB sound card) and Ubuntustudio 8.04 with
it's stock rt-kernel on my stationary machine.

In my experience, the hunt for low latencies and no xruns usually turns out to
be trial and error until the right balance between the machines capabilities,
giving everything sound related high run time priority and a low latency as
possible. I have tried Musix, JAD, 64 studio and Ubuntu the last 12  months or
so and can't say that one is better than an another regarding real time. Exept
for JAD, wich is the only distro that works for my old p-4 machine.

Jostein