[LAU] good linux distros for audio

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Mon Feb 23 07:16:11 EST 2009

On Monday 23 February 2009 12:48, lanas wrote:
> Le Dimanche, 22 février 2009 18:34:22 -0500,
>
> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> a écrit :
> > Skype runs perfectly on F9 and F10. At least on my systems, which
> > have had Pulse removed/disabled.
>
> If I may go on a tangent here, how did you got rid of Pulse ?  I'm
> using F8 x86_64 and it's not in the services menu.  It does not
> interfere with Jack, but when some audio is played w/o jack, xine has
> to wait until a connection with Pulse does not work in order to
> playback sound and that causes some delay.
>
> Cheers.

On Fedora 8,9, and 10, simply removing the package alsa-plugins-pulseaudio,
will disable pulseaudio. If you also have KDE installed, removing the above
package will also remove kde-settings-pulseaudio package.

If you have any SDL audio apps, add the line below to ~/.bashrc, which will
remove the hack that SDL programs needed to use pulseaudio.

unset SDL_AUDIODRIVER

All the best.

Nigel.