[LAU] howto record saxophone?

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Mon Feb 23 11:51:31 EST 2009

Been there, done that :)  Sorry, the following isn't a linux solution,
but it works for me.

I've used a shure and a C-1 Behringer and some cheap mics. None did a
good job for me. Also tried a clip-on (audio-technica) which is great
for live but picks up too many clicks for studio.

I finally ended up using my Zoom H4 recorder. Get it away from the horn
....  I'm about 4 or 5 ft away with the zoom on a small table stand. If
you want to hear some of these recordings got to my web site
http://www.mellowood.ca

I remember reading somewhere that Stan Getz or someone saying that the
best sax recordings were done with a "big mic" at the far corner of the
room ... I don't have a big room or a big mic so I'm happy with the H4.

--
  **** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca