[LAU] Recording accoustic guitar and string noise

Michal Seta mis at artengine.ca
Mon Feb 23 21:47:34 EST 2009

Hmm...  My classical guitar teacher and a couple of audio engineers I
had pleasure working with thought that placing mics near the neck was
providing a bit of brightness to the sound and balanced well the
body's tone.  In those days I spent entire days practicing to minimize
the fret/string noise.  Today I think that such noises add to the
charm of the music but i guess this is context and style dependent
(but I am also fond of music made exclusively of such "unwanted"
noises so I may not be the right reference in this context).

./MiS

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 9:06 PM, Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:16:20 -0500
> lanas <lanas at securenet.net> wrote:
>> I use a
>> M-Audio microphone, which might not be the best, but then I'd need some
>> convincing to believe that a top quality mic would actually do
>> something concerning this.  Perhaps better focus on the sound source.
>
> Spend some time to learn about mic placement and direction, and experiment
> with what you have.  Since the string noise comes from up on the neck,
> try keeping the mic away from that area.
>
> --

./MiS
514-344-0726
http://www.creazone.ca