[LAU] RME HDSP 9632 - playing @ 192kHz sample rate ?

Daniel Elsner elsner at physik.uni-bonn.de
Tue Feb 24 07:42:30 EST 2009

Hi all,

my aim is to play files (wav/flac) with 192kHz resolution (analog
output).
The HDSP 9632 works fine under windows with all sample rates, but I
have trouble to get the beast
fully running under linux (Suse11.1 - kernel 2.6.27).

I compiled latest alsa drivers (1.0.19) and all the hdsp tools
(hdsploader,
hdspconfig & hdspmixer) are working (I tried firmware 153 and 154,
both are working).

Up to 96kHz everything (various audio player/streamer xine, mplayer,
xmms, baudline...) works nicely.
If I set the sample clock to more than 128kHz no output is available,
"more
precisely" all tools could not connect to the audio device.
I get different error messages, e.g. invalid argument: SNDCTL_DSP
_Channels,
_SETFMT, _SPEED.
If I set the clock back to 96kHz everything works again.

Someone out there, who solved the problem?
Maybe I missed just a minor detail.

BTW: The files I used for testing are available here:
http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-downloads-testfiles.aspx
I used the 24bit/96kHz and 24bit/192kHz files (decode flac 2 wav).

Many Thanks!

Daniel