[LAU] laptop/pc purchase checklist

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Fri Feb 27 20:43:40 EST 2009

Hi all,
I figured it could be handy to have some kind of checklist for buying
laptops or pcs with audio production in mind.
This should not only contain what to check for but also how to check
for that stuff.
I'll start with some stuff I can think of at the moment, please add to
it, I believe it could make life easier for almost anyone in the market.

* audio or the bus used for audio shouldn't share it's interrupt with
  anything else --> check /proc/interrupts

* sonic emissions --> check specs/measurements; what are ok-ish levels?

* firewire/IEEE 1394 Does it have 6 pins (==powered)?

* harddrive speed --> check with hdparm(?), ok-ish values?

* chipsets to avoid, and how to check them

* ...