[LAU] kernel and midi seq

Thu Jan 1 19:04:56 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 14:13 -0800, Ken Restivo wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 04:58:13PM -0500, R Dicaire wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Emiliano Grilli <emillo at libero.it> wrote:
> >
> > > I only tested it briefly, but with ubuntu 8.10 regular kernel alsa
> > > MIDI behaves OK, whereas with linux-rt I had no joy: good audio
> > > performance but unuseable MIDI latency (with an external usb MIDI
> > > ikeyboard)
> >
> > Thanks, this is what I was afraid of as I can no longer used my usb
> > midi interface, as well as no midi functionality
> > in everything else.
> >
> > So last RT kernel where midi worked?
> >

> I think 2.6.24, or so I've been told. Alas, a kernel that old won't support
> my new EEE's hardware, its ACPI and sleep modes, and all its built-in gadgets.
>
> Slightly different question: what's the estimate on a fix for this problem?
> Is anyone working on fixing it? Are we talking weeks, months, years, or
> "forget about it"?

Apparently a new rt kernel patch tree (a git repository) is being
created. Apparently we could see a new rt patch in the 2.6.28
timeframe... (no hope for 2.6.26/2.6.27, apparently)

I posted a while back about the midi problems in lkml but there was not
that much feedback. One suggestion led to a working midi input for
external interfaces but the internal timer seemed to still not work (and
I was not able to follow up). And I have no idea about the core reason
for the problem....

BTW, Ingo is not the only rt patch developer...

-- Fernando