[LAU] Take one audio/midi-track to edit another (Record a professionel singer and use it to shape a amateur-recording)

Roberto Gordo Saez roberto.gordo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 08:36:01 EST 2009

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 04:32:28PM +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> They took the dynamic curve from the pro and told the programm to use that dynamic information to compress/shape/whateverMagic the amateurs recording. So it sounded like the amateurs voice but with a controlled and great dynamic expression.
>
> Any idea how to do that with the avaible linux apps?

AFAIK there is no easy way of performing complete voice processing with
existing FOSS, at least not in the same way than those propietary tools
do. There is praat, csound and a lot of useful programs, and Stéphane
Magnenat has released his GUI for praat (thanks!!!). But it will
probably take a lot of work and time to produce the wanted results, a
complete suite of high quality tools specially designed for
almost-automatic voice enhancement is currently missing.

I must say I'm not a fan of all those "artists" who just put their
pretty face, shout at the mic and let the studio technicians create a
beautiful song with the pieces... but it is a missing tool anyways,
it is very common nowadays in music studios.