[LAU] Distributions kernels'n stuff

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Thu Jan 8 17:45:35 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 11:45:38AM +0000, Jamie McLaughlin wrote:
> Just to say: I agree. The only way to get a kernel perfectly suited to
> your needs is to compile your own - and it's actually very easy. I would
> say pretty much any distro which supports compiling your own kernel can
> be used for pro audio, if you apply the relevant tweaks.
>
> Have you considered running two kernels and selecting from them at boot?
> Then you can have a super streamlined audio kernel and a more
> general-purpose kernel for web browsing / running your wireless card etc.

I've been building one for a while now. Man, compiling a kernel on an
SD drive is not a great idea. It is sllloooowwwwww....

I should have build my chroot build env on an external HD instead.
Oh well, it's almost done and soon I will (hopefully) have a 2-pound,
tiny softsynth (an Asus EEE) that fits in a backpack. I hope.

-ken