[LAU] What would you recommend for fine-tune equalization/calibration?

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Fri Jan 9 12:28:10 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 07:50:00AM -0500, Mike Mazarick wrote:

> Would love to, but I'm planning on using 32 speakers/channels,
> so it may take more than a pair of speakers.   Eventually,
> I'll spend the money on upgrading the speakers once the rest
> of the system is operational.   That way I'll know how much
> is appropriate to spend.   The software tools and process
> used will probably remain the same.   The main difference
> will be I will probably need +=5db pads rather than +-15db
> pads on the equalization (plus better speakers will obviously sound better).

Unless this is Ambisonics or Wave Field Synthesis,
why on earth would you use _32_ speakers ?

There are some other odd aspects to what you have
explained so far:

- Tri-amplification and active crossovers only make
sense in two conditions: either you need the ultimate
in quality, and you won't get that throwing together
an uncoordinated set of LF/MF/HF drivers, or you need
very high power. In both cases there's _a lot more_
involved than just EQ or room correction.

- Adding delays corresponding to the distance of
a source to a speaker: if the sources are really
independent this has no effect at all (it doesn't
create 'distance' as you seem to expect), if they
are correlated it will just introduce nasty comb
filtering.

Ciao,

--
FA