[LAU] Edirol UA-101: does the following work?

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Fri Jan 9 16:04:10 EST 2009

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 12:21:41 -0500
Allan Wind <allan_wind at lifeintegrity.com> wrote:

> On 2009-01-09T09:39:44, hollunder at gmx.at wrote:
> > What do you mean by 'monitoring of usb input'?
>
> With the UA25EX input 1 + 2 is routed to phone + output 1 + 2, while
> the audio stream sent to the device via the usb port is only sent to
> output 1 + 2 and NOT phone.

This seems odd to me. For me the output case (for example playback of
some previously recorded audio) is that audio goes to Phones and
probably to jack outputs, chinch output, s/pdiff out. Phones output
definitely works here, in fact I haven't used any other form of output
yet.

> > You're talking about rebooting, but all one needs to do with my UA25
> > (no EX) is unplug the device, change the samplerate and re-plug it.
> > I imagine that it can be annoying when you need to change the
> > samplerate often.
>
> With the UA25EX also have to unplug the device when switching between
> recording (96R) and playback (96P) when using the 96kHz sample rate
> along these lines:
>
> 1. switch to 96R
> 2. bounce the device by unplugging and plugging usb cable
> 4. record
> 5. switch to 96P
> 6. bounce device
> 7. play
>
> It works like yours, no unplugging required, with 44.1kHz and 48kHz
> sample rates.
>

> /Allan

Yes, the 96kHz case probably is annoying but never was and probably
never will be relevant to me since I doubt that it makes sense anyway
except for special applications. One probably needs special microphones
to get somewhere near this frequency, same is probably true for
speakers, and I don't know of any non-scientific reason for doing
something like this in the first place.

Philipp