[LAU] surround sound with stereo usb DACs?

Bearcat M. Şandor HomeTheater at feline-soul.com
Sat Jan 10 01:59:33 EST 2009

Folks,

I'm slowly building a hi-fi surround system around Trends Audio products. They
have a nice, little, stereo usb DAC. I am really only looking at wanting 4
channels for now. I have something like 8 usb2 ports on this computer so i
have plenty.

Can i have my player (xine or mplayer or what have you)  decode the signal be
it dolby digital, dts, or the blu-ray formats (ha) into channels and then send
(right and left) out of one usb port and (right rear and left rear) out of a
second usb port to a pair of these stereo DACs.  I assume if i eventually
wanted an 8 channel system i could so the same thing with more channels?

Is this feasible? Any drawbacks?

Also, those Trends Audio TA-10.1 are awesome.

Thanks.

--
Bearcat M. Şandor
Bearcat at feline-soul.net