[LAU] Distributions kernels'n stuff

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sat Jan 10 05:28:05 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:41:20AM +0100, Svend-Erik Kj?r Madsen wrote:
> fre, 09 01 2009 kl. 10:08 +0100, skrev Cassiel:
> > Well, kernel compilation requires some dev packages+kernel headers.
> > First of all run apt-get build-dep linux-source-2.6.26
> >
> > In your case, even if I am not a danish motherlanguage :-) , you miss
> > zlib1g-dev package
> > For other possible missing (header) files have a look at
> > http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages.en.html#search_contents, you
> > can easily find the package the file belongs to.
> >
> > Furthermore I suggest you to look at
> > http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/, there are plenty of
> > information for every debian kernel related question.
> >
> > raffaele
> >
> Hi again
>
> Ok I got the kernel compiled and running, under compiling there where
> small errormessages in between, but I can't remember them....
>
> I compiled by following this guide:
> http://paulsundvall.blogspot.com/2008/11/compile-realtime-kernel-in-debian-lenny.html
>
> It ended up with an installable deb kernelfile. I can boot on it and
> start up jack and get it running, but my midi seems to be non working.

Ah, you have been bitten by the MIDI-not-working bug!

A small, but reportedly 100% effective, patch has been posted here:
http://www.nabble.com/-PATCH---RT--tasklets%3A-fix-typo-in-tasklet_hi_action-tt21277388.html

Apply it to your kernel source, rebuild the Debian package, install, and try it.

> Isn't there a howto for dummies regarding what to choose and setup for
> DAW use, during "Make Config" besides the 3 issues in the guide i
> followed ?

It depends on which DAW you intend to use. Some have Debian packages-- just apt-get install. Others like Ardour come in source tarball form; if you've just finised successfully building a kernel than building and installing Ardour will be dead easy for you, just follow the instructions.

-ken