[LAU] how to rip .aiff files

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Sun Jan 11 13:50:26 EST 2009

Hi!
   Is it a normal audio-CD? If so you could just take cdda2wav or cdparanoia or
whatever. .wav is the easiest to get there. Don't worry about what your GUI
tells you, I seem to remember that KDE was able to show cddas playing as .aiff
and similar.
   If your "disk" is a data disk with .aiff files, than take sndfile-convert or
ecaconvert (which comes with ecasound/ecatools).
for F in *.aiff; do
   ecaconvert .wav $F;
done
   or even:
ecaconvert .wav *.aiff
   With sndfile-convert:
for F in *.aiff; do
   sndfile-convert "$F" "$F".wav;
done
   If your files are not pcm16 you better give a special encoding option like
this:
sndfile-convert -pcmu8 in.aiff out.wav
   I suppose you know how to find out the encoding.
   HTH.
   Kindest regards
          Julien

--------