[LAU] Question about Behringer UCA202 USB audio device

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Jan 14 06:34:06 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:10:28AM +0100, Arnold Krille wrote:

> Which might be true for the digital part. But my general experience with that
> specific manufacturer is that the over-all design both in electronics and in
> other hardware is not as good as the originals they are copying. Begins with
> cheaper plastics for the knobs, goes on with not-top-of-the-line pre-amplifiers
> and doesn't end with cross-talk from the pfl-listening into the pre-fader-aux

Last year I did some equivalent input noise measurements on
the mic inputs of various interfaces, including a Behringer
Ultragain Pro 8.

To my surprise, noise level was not bad at all _at full gain_.
But the spectrum at max gain, which should be flat, had some
strange bumps (I really wonder how they do it). Also, a good
mic preamp should have roughly the same EIN over a range
of at least 20 dB below max gain, but Behringer's goes up
very fast once you move the gain knob. This indicates very
bad analog design. And then there are the cheap gain pots
with their silly mechanical detents. Moving one notch down
can give you anything between -5 and -15 dB below the max,
and in the upper range even matching to channels for a
stereo mic is almost impossible. Again this is bad design.

Ciao,

--
FA

Parma, Italia