[LAU] no software mixer in usb soundcard - possible workarround?

Burkhard Ritter burkhard at linuxaudio.org
Wed Jan 14 14:35:17 EST 2009

Atte André Jensen schrieb:
> Hi
>
> I have an Edirol UA-1A usb soundcard, that I started using in my server
> with mpd as a music playing device. Most mpd clients has a volume knob
> that worked with the crappy build-in soundcard, but not with the usb
> one. I seem to remember that I never saw anything in my gnome mixer for
> this soundcard, and also has a vague idea that it simply might not have
> a mixer buildin or it's not supported by alsa.
>
> Long story short: Is this just me misconfiguring it (if so what could be
> wrong) or is there a software solution to allow me to change the volume
> of the soundcard from mpd clients?

I have an Edirol UA-25 and it has no software mixer, so I guess the
UA-1A might not have one as well. I'm using pulseaudio with a simple
applet for the gnome panel to control the overall system volume, but I
don't think this will work with mpd. Apparently it might:
http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Features says there's a pulseaudio output
plugin. Also says it can do software mixing. Hm. Perhaps this does what
you want, but seems a bit complicated for such a simple task:
http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Configuration#ALSA_MPD_software_volume_control

Hope this helps,
Burkhard