[LAU] How to do an online album release?

Tapani Sysimetsä tapani.sysimetsa at rokki.net
Sat Jan 17 05:18:26 EST 2009

shane richards wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sometime in the next 3 months I hope to release a new album.
> I wish to completely avoid the record companies - as I got burned
> badly in the 90's - and they still don't seem to get the deal with
> regards to open, friendly licensing for 21st century.
>
> So I'm looking at releasing on the web independantly.
>
> I know what I want:
>
> - host the CD 44k, DVD 48k images and individual tracks
> - provide CD covers/labels etc. for dl and printing
> - provide some way of previewing/streaming the tracks online
> - provide some kind of ratings/feedback section
> - provide a way for people to pay for physical media
>   if they want a disk delivered to their door
> - lastly, make sure that if someone plays a track or CD
>   with ITunes or Amarok etc. that all the graphics, info,
>   homepage etc. appear in the program
>
> But I have absolutely no idea where to start!
>
> Any info/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Especially in
> regards to webhosts that are friendly for this sort of thing,
> and links to other artists that have done this successfully.
>
> - shaneric

Hi,

Equal Dreams is something to that direction, even though it does not
meet all your requirements at the moment (e.g. no CD covers/labels, no
full images but FLACs instead). All copyrights will remain yours, it
will not prevent you from publishing somewhere else as well. And if you
like, you can channel part of the profits to charity through ED.

http://www.equaldreams.com

Tapani