[LAU] news: Loomer VST plugins and the pizmidi plugs

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Sat Jan 17 14:26:30 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 01:56:04PM +0100, Hartmut Noack wrote:

> The app itself did not convince me whatsoever. It has the needed
> features but it is not usable for everyday-work. Why? It suffers from
> the disease, many sound-manipulation apps come with also. It is
> unpredictable, what effect the moving of a slider will have.

That's a common pain with many apps and plugins.
It can be the result of absurd parameter ranges,
failing to handle dependencies between parameters,
and such suble things as having k * 12 pixels per
octave for a slider that controls pich, k * 48
for anything related to beats, etc. Of course the
variable (or impredictable) size GUI controls
created by some toolsets don't help either.

Being a midi nitwit, I have a question.
If such an app has to use/track tempo
changes via a midi input, how does it
get them ? Would it have to extract the
timing of midi beat messages, or does it
get a message whenever tempo changes ?

Ciao,

--
FA