[LAU] Jconv

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Tue Jan 20 12:43:49 EST 2009

alex stone wrote:
> Fons, just a follow up to the discussion about an orchestral placement
> template, is there a definitive resource somewhere i can go to, and
> learn more about ambisonics, and how this might help me to achieve the
> Holy Grail of true placement recording? I've read back through your
> comments about routing to A and B to achieve 'local' and overall
> placement, re convolution, but i will admit i don;t understand all of it.
>
> I'm convinced that this is a big step forward for recording in a more
> realistic....'space'. But my lack of knowledge is holding me back from
> being able to present the concept in a more intelligent way.

i'm preparing a paper for lac2009 about correct placement of spot mikes
in an ambisonic 3d mix, which might be interesting to you. but it does
not involve "correct" convolution reverb, which is somewhat more tricky.
if you want, i'll send you a preprint as soon as i've banged it into
shape - it's due by jan 29th...

by fons' definition, i have an "intuitive" grasp of ambisonics. it took
no black magic to attain and it is sufficient in practice to get a job
done, unless you want to push limits or need to debug a system, in which
case it's good to have some math wizards to ask :)
consider joining the sursound mailing list, if you want to dig deeper in
to ambisonics, but make sure you have an efficient mail filter :)