[LAU] Plasma TV as monitor for studio work.

Erik Steffl steffl at tsoft.com
Fri Jan 23 02:06:34 EST 2009

alex stone wrote:
> Maybe an odd question, but in about 4 weeks i'll have the chance to try
> out a plasma tv as a monitor.
>
> And i'm now firmly entrenched in my single monitor/multiple desktop
> daily usage, so i'm keen to use 1 big monitor and switch. (Because i
> can. :) )
>
> Have any of you in our linux audio world such a setup?
>
> If you use a plasma tv, what sort of graphics card are you using, and
> how big a screen can i consider, for good resolution on a day in day out
> basis?

   most TVs are 1920x1080 (high HDTV resolution, what TVs refer to as
1080p), worked (almost) without problems on two TVs I tried (Nvidia
cards (8800 GTX, the other card I don't remember model) with Sony Bravia
and Sharp Aquos),

   tricky part: nvidia 8800 does not work with sony bravia xbr4 as
primary monitor when connected directly (it works fine if it's a
secondary monitor or if I connect it via HDMI capable receiver), google
revealed it's a known problem, didn't find a solution though

   not sure if you want to use plasma as a computer monitor though (long
term), it's going to burn in the parts of desktop that are not moving

	erik