[LAU] OT: Phantom power and my acoustic guitar

Andrea Del Signore sejerpz at tin.it
Sun Jan 25 10:41:23 EST 2009

Hi all,

sorry for the off-topic post, but since I'm a linux audio user from a
long time
this is the only audio group that I know ;)

My question is: can I connect an Ibanez AW40ECE-NT guitar to a mixer
with
phantom power switched on? The guitar has a fishman pickup and an Ibanez
SST
preamp and I'll connect with the mixer using the XLR output, so the
connection
will be XLR to XLR.

Best regards,
Andrea

P.S.
I'm asking it here because searching through the various guitar and
homerecording forums I found contradictory responses: someone says that
I can
damage my guitar pre or mixer and some other that it safe to connect
with an XLR
cable on both sides ("phantom" power).

My mixer manual says only that I can't connect "unbalanced" equipment
while
phantom power is switched on.