[LAU] Are RT-patches needed anymore? (Was Re: >= 2.6.27 RT ETA?)

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Tue Jan 27 08:41:43 EST 2009

On Tuesday 27 January 2009, James Stone wrote:
[...]
> I think it is possible to get a bit obsessional about getting the
> lowest possible latency. IIRC I think I read that standard hardware
> midi keyboards have a latency of around 10ms, and mechanical organs
> can have even more latency?? So, I think it is more a matter of
> technique.

Depends on what you want to do... As long as the latency is *constant*
(as in, no granularity for MIDI events), a few ms more or less is no
big deal. Use headphones instead of near field monitors, and you cut
some 3 ms right there...!

If you're trying to route the monitor sound for a vocalist through the
computer, latency might be more critical. It feels pretty weird if
the monitor sound is significantly delayed, but I'm not sure exactly
how much one can tolerate.

.-------  http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples  -------.
|        http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine       |
|       http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine          |