[LAU] using a condensator microphone live

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Jan 28 06:20:35 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:05:53PM +0100, Atte André Jensen wrote:

> I'm using my sE usb2200A 48V microphone in my home studio, but now I'm
> considering using it live for lead vocals. Is that gonna be problematic,
> I'm (naturally) mostly worried about feedback?

The important point is not if the mic is condenser or dynamic,
but if it is designed for on-stage vocals or not.

Most condensors are 'studio' mics, they also tend to be more
sensitive to handling noise and environmental conditions (in
particular humidity and air currents).

Yours is explicitly advertised as a 'studio mic'.

> Oh, and would getting a reflexion
> (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Reflexion/) make any difference?

That's again a 'studio' tool, its function is to
reduce reflections from the singer's voice which
it does by being close to both the singer and the
mic, i.e. by shielding both the source and the
receiver.

It will be much less effective for 'external' noise,
and I don't think it will help much to protect you
from the house PA.

Ciao,

--
FA