[LAU] using a condensator microphone live

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Wed Jan 28 08:46:54 EST 2009

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sorry for the OT question, but I hope this list would provide me with
> valuable input.
>
> I'm using my sE usb2200A 48V microphone in my home studio, but now I'm
> considering using it live for lead vocals. Is that gonna be problematic,
> I'm (naturally) mostly worried about feedback?

what is the polar pattern of that microphone?
for loud live use, cardioids are preferred (or hyper-cadioids, but then
move your monitors to the sides, into the nulls of the polar patterns -
not an issue with headphones, obviously).

> We're using headphones for monitor, but the house PA might cause
> problems. When recording vocals at home the singer is normally about 5
> cm from the mic, was planing on the same approach live...

it all depends on how loud your music needs to be. large diaphragms are
generally a bit tricker wrt feedback. if all you need is "slightly
louder than unamplified", you can even get by with a load of omni
microphones on stage. make sure you have a good PA eq that will allow
you to set narrow notches, and be sure to have time for a good
soundcheck. place all mikes on stage, bring them up and increase their
volume until it howls, then place a notch that is deep enough to kill
the howl. increase the volume some more, next notch. stop doing it when
the howls are getting really close to one another in pitch - that is
when you've reached the usable maximum PA gain.

 > Oh, and would getting a reflexion
> (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Reflexion/) make any difference?

yes, it would totally ruin the experience for your audience and turn the
gig into a nerdfest... (/me runs and hides)

> Any ideas and especially experiences with using microphones like this in
> a live setting are more than welcome.

does this mike even have XLR outs? or are you feeding it into a computer
only? if your computer connects to the PA, watch out for crappy
mini-jacks, and be sure to use short leads into a pair of good DI boxes
before you patch into the stage box.

have a good gig!

jörn