[LAU] no sound in impro-visor

Joel White cv223 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 28 13:37:00 EST 2009

Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> Dave Phillips wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> You'll have problems with JavaSound if your soundcard has no integral
>> mixer. JavaSound only looks for an OSS-compliant device, which may be
>> why GR's alsa-oss installation worked for him.
>>
> I don't know if my card, maudio audiophile 24/96 pci has a integral mixer...
> Isn't it possible to fix it with timidity and aconnect or something?

I worked this out recently for Impro-Visor (I have a Delta 1010LT, which
also does not have MIDI).  It has to do with connecting raw MIDI with a
sequencer like timidity:

Step 1:

sudo modprobe snd-virmidi

Step 2:

timidity -iAqqq -B8,8 &  # don't know if the -B8,8 is really necessary

Step 3:

connect the first VirMIDI port to the first Timidity port (I use
qjackctl and the ports are under the ALSA tab in the Connections window)

Step 4:

In Impro-Visor, select the first VirMIDI port for output (or whichever
one you connected to Timidity in Step 3).

Play and enjoy!

Google "timidity virmidi" to find several pages describing various
aspects of this, including how to use aconnect to accomplish Step 3.

Good Luck!

Joel