[LAU] Are RT-patches needed anymore? (Was Re: >= 2.6.27 RT ETA?)

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Wed Jan 28 15:27:49 EST 2009

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:11:36 +0100
Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Folderol wrote:
>
> > I do very little microphone recording, but when I do, I send a feed
> > direct to the headphone amplifer, as well as to the soundcard. To make
> > the actual recording I use timemachine which, via jack, is the only
> > thing connected to the soundcard inputs. The outputs from the soundcard
> > also go to the headphone amp, so I record while playing back all the
> > synth stuff (and any previous recordings). Finally I use audacity to
> > line up the vocal with everything else. In actual fact latency is set
> > to 5.8mS on my machine but I doubt I'd notice anything if it was higher.
>
> Man, you really need to get your hands on a DAW, ardour comes to mind.
> Your approach is very cumbersome and time consuming IMHO.

Well, I've had a look at ardour and it goes right over my head (at
around 40,000 feet). I really don't have the time and patience to start
all over again. I think a great deal of one's ENJOYMENT in one's
productivity comes from familiarity, and I've only incrementally added
to my working style since my first MIDI setup in 1991.

I think, so far I've made a grand total of four vocal recordings, and
the method I used is relatively fast. Especially so when you consider
I have literally taken years to develop some tunes. Also, for
instrumental work I usually record in one straight hit, controlling
everything from Rosegarden. The tune 'Lair Of The Dragon King' which I
put up on here some time ago uses this method and Rosegarden is in
charge of all of the following in one session.

ZynAddSubFX
Qsynth
Hydrodgen
jamin (two instances)

External MIDI
Sound Canvas
Yamaha SY35

All connections eventually going to timemachine

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk