[LAU] Recording multiple instruments at once? [OT?]

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Thu Jan 29 15:02:45 EST 2009

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, James Stone wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 07:04:47PM +0000, rob wrote:

>> I don't use USB, but IIRC USB1 has insufficient bandwidth for >2 channels,
>> and there are zero USB2 soundcards that work under Linux.
>>

> Interesting. What would you suggest instead?

   Firewire.  There are several firewire interfaces that are supported.
I'm using a Focusrite Saffire pro 26.  There are also supported mixers
(Mackie Onyx line) which sport a firewire interface, delivering all
channels as well as the main mix to the computer.  Excellent for mixing a
live show, and delivering a multitrack to the laptop at the same time.

For a smaller budget (and 'you pays your money, and you take your choice')
there's the Phonic Helix line, which is not officially supported, but is
'reported to work'.

See http://ffado.org/?q=devicesupport/list for additional options.

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009