[LAU] New Linux DAW build. AMD790GX chipset working OK?

R.Wolff musicwolf at web.de
Thu Jan 29 17:12:30 EST 2009

Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> OK.  I don't know whether the ASRock stuff is good or not.  You've
> got some other comments, and you're doing the right thing by asking
> here.

It's all good. I know there are many knowledgeable people around here ;)

> I don't know about that RAM.  It might be good.  But, find out if
> it's on the approved list for ASRock.  Sometimes motherboard
> manufacturers will recommend RAM for their boards, which raises
> my confidence that something will work.

You're right. I'll have another look at the manufacturers website to see what he
recommends.

> That's good.  Large, slow spinning quiet fans are nice, and much
> cheaper than liquid cooling.  Fanless components, like video cards,
> are even better.

This board has Dual-Onboard Graphics (apparently the best existent),
so no fans there. And for the other stuff, I'll have to buy things more or less
one by one because of a very small income.

> Nice choice!  I have the non-LT version.  They are really great.
> The add the requirement to have PCI slots on the motherboard.

The board I consider has 3 PCI slots still.

> Good luck.....
>
> --
> Kevin

Thanks again Kevin