[LAU] A new song again...

TheOther theother1510 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 30 09:11:44 EST 2009

Julien Claassen wrote:
> Thanks for the helpful notes.

I'd like to second James' suggestions.

At my church we have choir directors who are in their PhD programs at
the University of Illinois School of Music in the United States (US).

Every one of them teaches to us to use British pronunciation for
singing English; in particular, to use a very open mouth to get as
much vertical space in the mouth cavity as possible.  This is to
correct the midwest US problem of speaking and singing with the mouth
more in a horizontal position which produces more nasal sound.

Besides singing the consonant D to be more of a T sound, we're taught
to drop the consonant R almost completely.  For example, the word Lord
is to sung more as Lawd, rather than chewing the R and getting more of
a Lerd sound (very, very bad.)

Also, take very good care of your hearing.  I don't think anyone can
sing in tune when they have a hearing loss.  Singing is 95% a matter
of technique.  Lots of open space in your mouth, the sound should seem
to be coming out between your eyes or in front of your forehead, and
listen, listen, listen, etc.

All the Best,
Stephen.