[LAU] Best realtime audio dstro for Eee

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Jul 1 05:39:56 EDT 2009

Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> 2009/6/30 Norval Watson <norv2001 at yahoo.com.au>:
>> Hi y'all,
>> I want to install a realtime audio distro on my new Asus Eee 901.
>> I need a 2.6.29 realtime kernel or higher to support the hardware on my Eee.
>> I have got the 2G RAM (haven't swapped it in yet).
>> AFAIK, options include:
>> DebianEeePC http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC
>> ArchLinux http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Asus_Eee_PC_901
>> Eeebuntu http://www.eeebuntu.org/
>> Indamixx USB stick, when it's available, (and it's not free)
>>
>> I have been using Debian unstable for some years so I'm most familiar with that.
>> Any suggestions welcome, particularly regarding optimizing the kernel.
>> TIA
>> Norv
>

> Debian testing here, 2.6.29.5-rt22, ASUS Mobo (don't remember exatly
> what model... I am at work now)
>
> Optimizing the kernel? ... it depends from your hardware but, apart
> from binary size, I can not really say if turning off wireless stuffs
> from kernel config could improve RT performances. I am sure somebody
> else can comment bettere on this.

I'm slowly turning my wife's old laptop (2.8GHz Celeron, 768MB RAM,
saddled with older Intel chipset) into a synthesizer/effects box. It
currently has Ubuntu Studio on it. While I have the wireless antenna
turned off (we have no wireless network around here), I've never
disabled the wifi kernel modules or drivers. And it runs along quite
happily at latencies between 5-10 msec using an external USB audio
interface ...

I seem to recall that the problem with wifi wasn't the presence of the
drivers, it was the fact that the system was incessantly trying to make
a wifi connection. Maybe that's something Network Manager does that
doing your networking using command line stuff doesn't?

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community