[LAU] [OT] Debian reinstall...?

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Sat Jul 4 07:43:49 EDT 2009

And another one I recently discovered ... particularly relevant with
Debian where you could have a system that's been running for over a
decade ... grandfather's axe has had five new handles and two new heads,
but we still call it grandfather's axe ... is apt-show-versions ...
which can tell you what packages you are running that are *not* in the
current distribution.  Those ones will be harder to reinstall ... you
have to find them in the archives, or remove the packages.

Oh, and backups are good ... backups you can recover from that is.  ;-)