[LAU] Wine + Firefox + Flash == No Audio with ALSA

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sat Jul 11 02:12:10 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 07:54:32PM -1000, david wrote:
> Ken Restivo wrote:
> > I've successfully gotten Firefox to run on Wine with Adobe Flash
> > (presumably so that I can actually see people's websites, and listen
> > to their music. Sheesh.). This is on a 32-bit system.
>
> And I use Firefox on Linux with Adobe Flash to listen to music and watch
> videos. Any particular reason why you're using the Windows version for
> FF via WINE?
>
> > But no sound. WineCfg seems to think that the only drivers available
> > are dmix, but I don't have dmix configured, or running, and I do NOT
> > want dmix at all!
>
> I've never tried to do anything involving sound with WINE, so haven't a
> clue ...

Hmm. Still not a-werkin'.

youtube-dl works perfectly for downloading YouTube, but that's not why I want Flash. I need Flash so I can finally go to people's goddamned MySpace pages and listen to their music. And see Facebook and MySpace videos. And DailyKosTV videos. And to see bands' and labels' websites, which too often show up as big grey squares on my browser, with nothing in them: too many of them are Flash-only.

The Linux version of Flash always seems to be 2-3 versions behind the Windoze version. And sites too often complain about that.  So I was not going to bother with Flash at all on Linux, just run WINE instead. I've never seen a "free flash substitute" that actually worked, so I'm not bothering with those.

Also, it's nice to have two separate browsers: one with flash, and one without. I can thus use firefox.exe as my Flash/MySpace/etc browser occasionally when I need it.

-ken