[LAU] Wine + Firefox + Flash == No Audio with ALSA

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jul 11 03:05:54 EDT 2009

Ken Restivo wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 03:36:36PM -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:03:14 -0700 Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org>
>> wrote:
>>> I've successfully gotten Firefox to run on Wine with Adobe Flash
>>> (presumably so that I can actually see people's websites, and
>>> listen to their music. Sheesh.). This is on a 32-bit system.
>> Have I missed something here?  I have no problem using Adobe's
>> Flash for Linux on my systems.
>>

> I downloaded the "latest" Flash from Adobe (the actual latest isn't,
> of course, available for Linux, but an older version is), and then
> tried the installation script:
>
> Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape, or Opera
> browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla): /usr/lib/mozilla
>
> WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path.
>
> Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape, or Opera
> browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla): /usr/lib/mozilla
>
> WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path.
>
> Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape, or Opera
> browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla): /usr/lib/mozilla
>
> WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path.
>
> Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape, or Opera
> browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla):
>
> WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path.
>
> Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape, or Opera
> browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla): /usr/lib/mozilla
>
> WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path.
>
> Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape, or Opera
> browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla):
>

> WTF? OK, I just manually put the libflashplayer.so into the
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins dir then. Re-start Firefox. Flash goo-dads
> show up in websites now. All is bliss, all is bliss.

Yah, it's a bug in the Flash installer.

> Except.
>
> No audio! None at all coming out of the audio card as MySpace music
> is supposedly playing.
>
> However, plenty of "Device or resource busy" errors from anything
> else I try to play, which means FF was definitely opening and holding
> open the audio driver.... now I remember why I did not want Flash in
> my regular browser.
>
> So anyway. Not so good. I'm not going to invest a whole lot of time
> in this problem, but if there's something obvious I'm doing wrong,
> please let me know.

Well, I can tell you one thing. No version of Flash I've encountered
lets me specify *which* sound card to use for playback. On my laptop, it
always plays through the crappy Intel audio and laptop speakers, instead
of my USB sound card. Supposedly there's a patch or something to apply
to Flash that lets you pick a sound card ... Anyway, that's why I use
scripts like youtube-dl (or video downloadhelper now) to download vids.
Of course, that doesn't help with the stupid Flash audio players ...

So if you have multiple sound cards on your computer, Flash is going to
use only one of them no matter what you do, and I haven't figured out
how it decides which one to use ... Anyway, it sounds like Flash is
trying to use a card on your system that is already busy. For example,
maybe it's trying to use the sound card that JACK is using. (I don't
think Flash supports JACK at all. Don't have PulseAudio around to see if
that does any better.)

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com