[LAU] The Many Ways of Pam Limits...

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Jul 20 11:33:31 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Jack O'Quin<jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Despite the fact that negative nice values are ineffective for
> achieving solid realtime audio, I doubt we'll see many distributions
> jumping into the role of discouraging that style of programming.
>
> Most distribution developers see their role as packaging Linux
> applications in a form that makes them easily accessible to end users.
>  They generally avoid highly technical discussions about "how those
> applications should be written".
>
> If enough users want to run "nice-audio" applications, they are likely
> to enable that behavior.  Why shouldn't they?

given that many distributions have actively resisted enabling the
correct approach to writing such applications, i don't see why they
should not be encouraged to reverse themselves on both fronts: enable
the right way, and discourage the wrong way. it is crazy to claim that
they simply want to make things easily accessible to end users - the
debian packagers, for example, have argued that using SCHED_{FIFO,RR}
is wrong and that no app should be using memlock. so, they *do* take
positions ... i'm just saying they need a new one, and that is that
making lower nice values available for *this* purpose is wrong. there
may, of course, be other reasons to permit it.

--p