[LAU] CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Fri Jul 24 15:55:14 EDT 2009

Looking over Linux kernel list archives and other places, it looks like
when the "RCU Implementation" choice hit the mainline non-patched
kernel, the option to choose "Preemptable RCU" caused quite a stir as
many latent bugs were uncovered.

It looks like many bugs got fixed, but is it safe now?  Should one
enable CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU on a 2.6.29.6 kernel these days?  It seems to
be available even without RT patches.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky