[LAU] ubuntu realtime

Beepo / Vanguard beepo at vanguard.fi
Mon Jun 1 05:36:40 EDT 2009

>From: Asmo Koskinen <asmo.koskinen at arkki.info>
>Subject: Re: [LAU] ubuntu realtime.
>
>https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-studio-users/2009-April/004507.html
>
>And then there was a long discuss about Ubuntu Studio.
>
>Cory stepped down, all others in the team are here:
>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/TeamStructure
>
>Maybe Debian, 64 Studio, Musix or CCRMA have much more stable and active
>community around them, I really do not know. Right now Ubuntu Studio is
>not so strong, I think.
>
>Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Hi,

I'm sad to hear that there has not been enough user contribution to the project and I can imagine the workload Cory and others have been struggling with. Unfortunately I have to admit that I've also been just enjoying their work more than helping to get things done or fixed. Perhaps I should try to put some effort on those testing and documentation parts mentioned.

The most alarming point however was the statement that the upstream is not responding to the studio devel team requests. I don't know if the upstream upgrades and fixes can be speed up but at least the communication should work to get anything accomplished.

Regarding the financial and motivational part of the core team it seems that it really would be important to get more active and supportive users. Recently the Ardour team had a wide discussion about the financial problems of the project. I don't know if same kind of model could be used with Ubuntu Studio?

At least it seems that Ardour dev team has managed to get the donations and 'feature sponsoring' working quite well. Perhaps similar kind of a system could help the core team to develop the system and even tempt new talented and dedicated developers still keeping the Ubuntu Studio free for all.

Best regards:
  Aapo Romu